Saturday, February 27, 2010

House-building question?

I bought a house that was 6 months old from the first buyer. As I wanted to install a conservatory I enquired from the builders if I needed their consent, I was informed that because the land was now turned over to the local authorities I would only need planning permission from the local council,which I got. That was 5years ago, and am selling the property now, but was asked by solicitor to produce Covenant Consent for the conservatory. I explained, I apparently did`nt need it, he is insisting, it is needed. UK Question.House-building question?
Write to your solicitor, using short words and big letters that he can understand...I don't suppose you have anything in writing from the builders?


Dear solicitor





I obtained planning permission for the structure in question on (date) You have a copy of this. I do not have consent from the Superior Landlord (builders) nor did I seek it at the time as I was advised by (name of builders) that no consent was needed. Please advise as to whether there is a difficulty regarding this issue and what I should do o resolve same.








If you have anything from the builders saying you don;t need consent, enclose it - you may have to apply for retroactive consent - this is going to hold up the sale for quite a while I'm afraid...looks like you may have been badly advised last time, but get your solicitor to explain to you exactly what is going on...that's what you're paying him for!House-building question?
At this point, find out where you need to go, show up with your planning permission and beg forgiveness. Explain and be willing to resolve it up front.





Not all that familiar with UK, but they're pretty much the same as the US. need inspections and ';CFO'; ( certificate of occupancy)
You needed permits. Without inspection, it is an illegal addition. Solution is to get permits to knock it down.
if you have planning permission that should be enough. ask another lawyer most lawyers give you the first hour free

No comments:

Post a Comment