Friday, February 26, 2010

What can I use to clean bricks. My house build in 1950 so the bricks are old.?

OH yes the bricks has pant,concert on them I would like to make them look better.What can I use to clean bricks. My house build in 1950 so the bricks are old.?
Oxygen bleach (there are many brands) can make brick clean, but won't take the paint off. This is a low-cost, relatively low-mess fix.





Here's a video on AskTheBuilder.com that shows you how. This technique will work for vertical walls, too.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElUX26Lm鈥?/a>What can I use to clean bricks. My house build in 1950 so the bricks are old.?
A high power water spray should do it. However if they're panted you might need to use some kind of paint remover on them first, then check the bricks to make sure they're able to withstand a hight power spray. If they've softened over the years, that would just make them worse.
Any handyman will tell you, ';There is a place in Hell for people who paint brick';.





However, if you are game, I'd go with gel paint stripper. Leave it on for a while, per the label, and then go at it with a steel bristle brush. It's going to be messy. This may also get the concrete off, but if not, muriatic acid will get off concrete smears. Bigger amounts of concrete can be nicked off with a cold chisel.





I hope you have a good amount of time, and are not afraid of getting dirty. One last option, also messy, but real easy, would be to sandblast them. You can rent these.
Good ole hammer and chisel and a little sandpaper.
a

No comments:

Post a Comment