Friday, February 26, 2010

I am having a house built in San Antonio and this Friday is my first frame walk?

What are the things I should be looking for in this initial frame walk? I will have my sales person and the construction guys there with me so any questions or concers can be addressed but this early in the process what are some things I can look for?I am having a house built in San Antonio and this Friday is my first frame walk?
Unless you are familiar with framing techniques in new home construction, there is not much you can look for. The framing walkthrough is done to give you an idea as to room size and layout. You can carry a set of plans with you and douple check the room dimensions, but they will probably be correct. The same applies to door and window placement and size. Before drywall is installed, the builder will have to get the framing inspected by the building inspector. The building inspector will look at the structural integrity of the building and make sure it is built according to applicable building codes.





One thing you can do is look for twisted or warped wall studs. They usually stand out like a sore thumb, and most framers will replace them as they go. Sometimes one sneaks through. They are especially obvious on long walls and are easy to spot. Step between the studs on one end of a long wall and sight down the wall. If you spot one particular stud that is obviously warped, call it to the attention of the builder. This stud will create a hump in the wall after it is drywalled. This can really stand out in a kitchen where the cabinets and counter top are fit to the wall.





If the electric has already been roughed in when you do your walkthrough, you might want to look at the placement of switches, wall plugs, and overhead fixtures. The time to make changes is before drywall is installed. You might also want to check for the placement of phone or cable outlets. For my money, this is more important for the novice homeowner than trying to determine the structural integrity of the framing.





Good luck with your walkthrough.I am having a house built in San Antonio and this Friday is my first frame walk?
I would check things like room dimensions, make sure walls are placed where they should be and that window and door openings are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment