Friday, February 26, 2010

What's underneath of aluminum siding of my house built in mid 50's?

I want to attach a flag pole to the side of my house but afraid I could damage the wall badly. Does someone know,what's underneath of aluminum siding of a house built in mid 50's?What's underneath of aluminum siding of my house built in mid 50's?
could be anything..., you can hang your pole, just pre-drill the holesWhat's underneath of aluminum siding of my house built in mid 50's?
I would guess either asbestos or wood shingle.
My house built in 49, had aluminum siding added later. There are thin wood horizontal straps attached to the original wood exterior, then the siding added on to them


So try to measure in by stud-widths from the side wall. Maybe test for a wall stud with a piece of coat hanger in your drill. Or find window edges and you know there sill be a 'jack' stud above and below the window opening, as well as a king stud beside it and count over by 16 inch increments from the king stud location.


Beware of hidden radiator pipes going up from the one below the window.
$500,000 in Al Capone's stolen loot.
depending on how the siding was installed - it may have gone over the original siding - meaning to say you may have asbestos, cedar, or some other type of shingle on there - could be clapboard under there -





on the other hand they may have removed the old siding (not usually done when aluminum was in use) - and all you have is the original sheathing - which in the 50's was probably pine boards

No comments:

Post a Comment