Friday, February 26, 2010

I have a beautiful doll house built by my grandfather.?

Unfortunately it is covered in lead paint. Every surface has peeling, nasty lead paint on it. I'm not sure what to do. I have small children that are constantly putting things in there mouth and just had to bring them in for lead testing. I can't afford to have the paint professionally removed and I can't take it to the dump because of the lead paint. What the heck do I do?I have a beautiful doll house built by my grandfather.?
You need to find a company in your area that does chemical stripping by dipping. There are companies that use this process for stripping old doors and cabinets and such. This will remove the paint to bare wood. Then all you have to do is check to be sure that the joints are tight and repaint with non toxic paint. Check with ask this old house as they may be able to provide you with a list of these companies.I have a beautiful doll house built by my grandfather.?
i think this item is sellable. why not put it on Craig's list or ebay? Or maybe donate it to a local charity auction or yard sale. Handmade dollhouses are desirable items. Be sure to note in your description about the paint problem. Let the buyer worry about the lead paint. True miniaturists will find a way to deal with it and refurbish the house. (I am assuming it is in good condition other than the paint).
I'd find a babysitter for a day, and go out and get myself a can of zip-strip. I'd take it outside and strip it, collecting all the goo in an old metal coffee can (it will melt anything made of plastic) After it's all stipped I'd repaint it and let my kids love playing with it!
Store it until the kids are a little older. Kids that put things in their mouths are too young to play with a dollhouse anyway.
Put it in a big plastic trash bag and put it in the attic. Move out and leave it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment